I intend to guide you through the Gilão river City, with its 21 churches, roman bridge and the stories that every corner, niche or stone has to tell.
Tavira, a city with remainings of all historical times.
A city with testimonies of passage of different civilizations, like phoenicians, romans and muslims. Being one of the Portugal cities with major number of temples by square area, adding up to 21 chruches, representing the most diverse artistic and architectonic styles, starting with
roman, encompassing the gothic, renascence, barroc and neoclassic.
The magnificent tile panels of Misercordia church, one of oldest of its kind in Portugal. The castle mother church, old mosque, is connected to the legend of the City Conquest by the knights of Saint James, in which perished 6 knights, being remembered as martyrs.
The connection with the river, the city evolution according with the noblehouses, times and personalities tied with the city.
- Santana Caste Door (14th cent.)
- Galeria Palace (16th cent.)
- Saint Mary Mother Church (13th cent.)
- Castle garden (20th cent.)
- Saint James Church (13th cent.)
- Alfeição Castle Door (14th cent.)
- Graça Convent (16th cent.)
- Postigo Castle Entrance (14th cent.)
- St. Francis convent (14th cent.)
- Corpus Christy church / Old Hospital (15th cent.)
- Convent Fence Garden (20th cent.)
- Headquarter (18th cent.)
- Waves Church (16th cent.)
- Renascence window (16th cent.)
- By-the-river garden (19th cent.)
- City Hall (19h cent.)
- City centre (Praça da República) (20th cent.)
- Steps of Castle Entrance (20th cent.)
- Misericórdia Church (15th cent.)
- Corte-Real Manor Archeological station (15th cent.)
- Roman Bridge
Notes: Museums and chruch visits are not covered and must be paid in separate.
ALGARTUR – Property Holidays and Rentals …Customer Satisfaction Since 2007
Tavira Algarve – Land of Sun and Sea
- Holiday Rentals in Tavira Algarve
- Tavira Algarve Vacation Rentals